Normally I don't write this type of post, but I know what's coming up here, and
we need people.
As long as you have a European Passport and/or a Visa which entitles you to travel across Europe without issues, you are already interesting.
You are even more interesting when
- you like working in a fast paced environment
- you like working with Hardware
- you are not afraid of moving several hundreds of racks (yes, racks, not servers) of baremetal
- you like working in an environment where OpenSource is one of the main drivers
- you like working with a the smartest people in our business
- you like automation
- you like being in a Datacenter
- you like gaming
- you like streaming
- you like traveling
- you read/write/speak English (technically and socially)
- you like Sony PlayStation (oh well, that's a plus but not a must ;))
- you are not afraid
If most of this applies to you, we want to hear from you.
You'll work from Berlin, Germanies Capital. Our office is in the Heart of Berlin, one of the nicest places in this City.
We are a team of French, Italian, Spanish and German People.
You'll work closely with the US Southern California Based team and as well with the EU SRE Team.
If you think you are the right person, what are you waiting for?
Applying for this job is easy as installing Ubuntu.
Two ways to apply:
- You apply for the job on our LinkedIn Page and refer to Me (Stephan Adig) (you can also mention where you read this post)
- Or you send me an email with all your details and your CV (PDF or ASCII and Picture Attached) and I'll put you in top of the stack.
Anyways, I know some people are scared of LinkedIn so here is the official job description from our HR Department:
Data Center Operations Engineer
Gaikai (外海?, lit. "open sea", i.e. an expansive outdoor space) is a company which provides technology for the streaming of high-end video games. Founded in 2008, it was acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment in 2012. Its technology has multiple applications, including in-home streaming over a local wired or wireless network (as in Remote Play between the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita), as well as cloud-based gaming where video games are rendered on remote servers and delivered to end users via internet streaming (such as the PlayStation Now game streaming service.) As a startup, before its acquisition by Sony, the company announced many partners using the technology from 2010 through 2012 including game publishers, web portals, retailers and consumer electronics manufacturers
Gaikai is looking for a talented Data Center Operations Engineer to be based in our Berlin office. This position is for an experienced candidate who will work within the Data Center Operations team and have hands on responsibility for ensuring our production datacenter environments are operating efficiently. This position will work closely with the System Engineering and Network Operations teams and provide hands on support for them. The primary responsibility of this job role is to rack and cable new hardware, upgrade existing servers and network equipment and keep accurate inventory information for all systems. You will also be responsible for assisting in the development of processes and procedures related hardware deployment, upgrades and break/fix issues.
- Support existing hardware in multiple datacenter locations
- Plan and execute installations in multiple datacenter locations in a timely manner
- Ensure accurate inventory information for multiple datacenter locations
- Work closely with Data Center Operations team to track orders and deliveries to multiple datacenter locations
- Work with the Director of Data Center Operations on datacenter status reports for Senior Management for each datacenter location
- Refine and document support process for each location including the handling of RMA requests
Desired Skills and Experience
- BA degree or equivalent experience
- 1-3 years working in a production datacenter environment
- Experience with asset management and reporting
- Knowledge of various vendor RMA processes to deal with repairs and returns
- Keen understanding of data center operations, maintenance and technical requirements including replacement of components such as hard drives, RAM, CPUs, motherboards and power supplies.
- Understanding of the importance of Change Management in an online production environment
- High energy and an intense desire to positively impact the business
- Ability to rack equipment up to 50 lbs unassisted
- High aptitude for technology
- Highly refined organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively
- Ability to manage multiple tasks at one time
Up to 50% travel required with this position.